Travel Around The World

Travelling Around The World is this fortnight’s theme at Fashionable Stamping Challenges. Marina from Cottage Crafts is giving away a beautiful Artemio stamp to the winner so no excuses this fortnight just get out all those stamping goodies and have a play with us.

The amazing Fashionettes have excelled themselves on the catwalk this week and their creations are gorgeous so hop on over and have a peek through the curtains at all the stunning artwork. My DT piece is a centre stepper card made especially for a man in mind.

This time round the card was all experimental for me because I wanted to showcase embossing folders and masks in a different way on a card and lucky for me it worked quite well … eh, I think so but not sure what you will think 😀 because I usually get comments saying … blah, blah, different … not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.

Maybe it’s because I don’t really have any particular style with cardmaking, I just love to play and experiment, whether it be a pretty card, which I adore making …(but couldn’t just churn out the same old thing, cutesy image, flowers, ribbon in the middle) … an album or manly, the fun of making and being pleased with how it turns out is good for me … but hey everyone is different and it truly is whatever works for you.

Playing around in gimp after I have made a project is also another thing I love to do and at the moment experimenting with layers is my flavour of the month as you can see by all the little scrolls around my pic … will probably tire of this soon as I think it makes the pics look busy 🙂

For my new technique I made a slit at the top of the middle panel on the card and slid the TH embossing folder from Artful Muse through (your slit should only be a teensy teensy fraction bigger than the embossing folder you are using) eg., TH folder measures … 7.2 cm width so the slit should be 7.4 cm … picture 2 should give you an idea of what I mean, then put through your die cutting machine (it will only go through one way :wink:) unless you are lucky enough to have a beast of a machine called the Big Shot Prowhich I had for Christmas last year … or a Grand Calibur from Spellbinders.

Next I used the Compass Mask from Creative Expressions and fiddled around with each section of the card so it looked fairly close to a circle then sponged through with a Soft Suede ink pad from Stampin Up. Also inked, very very carefully the Old Jalopy Car.

Technically this is the second time I have used this technique below is a pic of a Christmas card that I made in October but never showed.
Also showed Claire, Irene and Brenda this technique … cool eh 😎

Entering into The Stamp Man Challenge – Techniques … use a technique you have not used before
Hiding In My Craft Room – Embossing Technique

16 Responses to “Travel Around The World”

1. irene chillman says:

Fantastic card Shirl, love the technique, nice to see something different in blogland. Love how you are always experimenting and coming up with such stunning results.
    Have a good Sunday
    Irene xx

2. I can see the sand whirling around me as I walk through the desert you have transported me to.
    Beautiful, vintage inspired travel card. The layers bring so much to it.
    Enjoyed this theme so much.
    Wishes to you
    Lynne

An amazing creation Shirley, such gorgeous vintage effects and a stunner of a design. Love the techniques, I must have a go at this style too. Thanx for showing me.
    luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

4. Cazro says:

May I join you on your travels? Loving the shape and design of your card. Caz

5. Dot L says:

I love all the layers! I love your colours! and I love how you love to experiment (I do too). A wonderful card Shirl. I’ld be happy just to work out how to do a centre step card…they look great! From my family to yours Shirl we wish you all a merry xmas and a great New Year…with lots of exciting adventures ahead

6. Yvonne Whaley says:

Love the design of your fabulous card. The colours for me, give a real feeling of how I think that part of the world may look.
    Hope you and your family have a Happy Christmas and a good New Year.
    Yvonne x

7. Terry says:

This is a traveling masterpiece! So love the vintage feel, Shirl! The colors and the technique are absolutely amazing!

Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas and a fabulous “2012.” Hugs!

8. Shirley, this is a masterpiece! I love your technique and marvel at it as I would no know here to begin. Happy Holidays to you and Andrew. I am so glad to have met you in blogland and count you as a friend. Best, Yvonne

9. fabiola says:

oh très chic! très élégante, biz

10. Joanna K says:

Lovely, lovely card Shirl. The technique is really cool and I must try it sometime. Love the vintage feel and the maskuline design ;). Hope you and Andrew have a lovely Christmas and sending you both best wishes for the New Year! Big hugs, Joanna xx

Fabulous card Shirley, love the design with the mask, so different, thanks for the info.
    Hope you and Andrew have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

12. Paula says:

Fantastic card, and its great that you experiment and can turn your hand to different styles. This is a brilliant masculine card, which is something I really struggle with, along with cute. Have a Happy Christmas and New Year. XX

13. Sue C says:

Gorgeous card Shirl, I love the sepia, vintage feel and loving the EF technique ! Sue C x

14. Your Travel around the World looks wonderful, love all the details. Also your easel card is fab. A Merry Christmas to you and your family.

15. Claire C says:

Hi Shirl, I hope you’re having a wonderful Christmas. Your card is gorgeous, I love that clever technique and that masking is fabulous
    Claire xx