Handmade Paper Roses

I mentioned in my last post about the roses I was making with copy paper and paint.  The roses were incidental to what I was actually doing.

My ultimate plan was to make my own sprays with acrylic paints so I was actually experimenting.  The results were amazing and because the testing of the sprays was onto copy paper it made for some very interesting backgrounds.  Hence the handmade paper roses.  No die cuts were used, I just tore some freehand spirals and then rolled into roses.  Another revival of an old technique which was dredged up from the back of my mind.

The acrylic paints used in my experiment are from Reeves and they worked very well.

The leftover test paper gave me the perfect opportunity to use the newest die to my collection …  Jourdana.  This added an extra little feature on the card.

The die is very similar to the TH Mixed Media one but I find this quite small and I wanted to be able to cut a larger area.

4325

More paper roses but this is only a sneak peak because I haven’t finished the hanger yet.

11 Responses to “Handmade Paper Roses”

1. These roses are soooo beautiful…

2. Sandra says:

I love this Shirl. The roses are fabulous and I love the colours that you’ve created. I’ve been having a play myself just lately trying to make my own sprays as they can be quite expensive. It’s all good fun and who doesn’t love getting messy! The different elements all come together beautifully here to give a perfectly finished piece of art. Have a lovely weekend. Crafty hugs, Sandra 🙂 X

Gorgeous roses Shirl, its a fantastic piece.
    Yvonne xx

4. Donna Ellis says:

Oh, Shirl, your handmade roses on text weight paper are just incredible! The colors immediately grabbed my heart – something about the intensity of color, the diversity of hues, and the delicate petals, all combined… made my heart melt. LOVELY. Another confident woman of strength, character and intellect, combined with the beauty of nature – it says it all, doesn’t it? love, de

5. Anne R says:

I have to admit to loving Tim’s flower dies but there is just something so ‘organic’ about ripping and tearing that is so pleasing and your rolled flowers are an absolute delight, the colour choices are amazing. The rolled roses look beautiful on your project! Very inspiring! Hugs, Anne xx

6. Craftyfield says:

Great results with the roses… Not a technique I have ever tried with standard paper! Love the lady stamp, great Vintage image. xx

7. Carola says:

Wow Shirley, what a beautiful card with the great roses. Fantastic!
    Hugs Carola

8. Pamellia says:

Wow Shirley, these roses are just gorgeous!! I love the multi-coloured look you are achieving, what a wonderful technique!! The sneak peek ones are lovely, so soft and muted…look forward to seeing the finished hangar. hugs 🙂

Just catching up Shirley and this is a fabulous card, love everything about it, the colours are gorgeous and those multicolour roses – just beautiful. The die cut adds a lovely touch.
    I’ve just ordered these stamps after seeing you lovely makes with them.
    Crafty Hugs, Avril xx

Hi Shirley, Your art is gorgeous and I LOVE your handmade roses, ‘no die cutting’… they are so beautiful. Thanks for stopping in at my blog as your visit made me realize that I haven’t seen any notifications (via email) of your blog posts.. and so I came over here and see there are lots of beautiful designs I’ve missed. I follow others with your type of blog and I’m no longer getting anyone’s emails. Strange. I’ve added you to my sidebar at my blog. Take care, Shirleyxx ps.. I have also been quite busy with other parts of my life.

11. Wonderful roses Shirley!!! I love how you’ve teamed them here with Valerie xx